Calories is a unit that measures energy. Calories are often used to measure the energy content of food and beverages. It is necessary for human health. People may be overweight or underweight due to improper calorie management. The solution in this case is to get the right amount of calories.
The average woman should take about 2,000 calories per day to maintain her weight and 1,500 calories per day to lose 1 kilogram in a week. Meanwhile, an average man needs 2,500 calories to maintain his weight and 2,000 calories to lose 1 kilogram in a week.
However, this depends on many factors. These include age, height, current weight, activity levels, metabolic health, and others.
How to calculate calorie intake?
- Calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)
BMR is the number of calories your body burns while resting or not moving.
- Calculate your daily activity level
There are 4 activity levels:
- Sedentary: None or low physical activity – 1.200 cal
- Lightly Active: 1-2 days physical activity in a week – 1.375 cal
- Moderately Active: 3-5 days physical activity in a week – 1.550 cal
- Very Active: 7 days physical activity in a week – 2.000 cal
- Calculate the number of calories to maintain the current weight
Once we know how many calories we need to take to maintain our current weight, we can decide what to do to gain or lose weight accordingly.
Each nutrient has its own calorie amount. To calculate, we need to know the exact amount of protein, fat and carbohydrates of consumed food or drink. You can use a guide or search online to find the exact number of calories for a particular amount of food.